Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Neck

I got the neck earlier in the week. I was really happy when it arrived, because there wasn't much I could do with only the body. Now that I have the second part of the equation, there are a lot of things I can check and work on.

Here are some pictures I took the night I received it:

This is a 1-piece maple neck by Warmoth, with a fairly modern spec list:

  • 9.5 radius (most standard Strats made these days are 9.5)
  • Modern thin C shape back contour (same as modern Strats)
  • TUSQ nut
  • Jumbo frets (6150)
  • Headstock truss rod adjustment (vintage necks had heel adjust, which means any time you needed to make an adjustment, you'd have to take the neck off, adjust, then screw the neck back on, and repeat over and over until it was right)
It also ended up having a nice birdseye figuring which Warmoth didn't charge extra for.
Here are some shots with it in the sunlight:

It's hard to see just how beautiful the wood grain pattern is, so check out pictures in original size to really see it in detail.

Both of my current guitars have rosewood fretboards, and I do like the look sound of them, but I wanted to get a nice bright Strat tone so I opted for something I've never had before. I really like the very glossy finish front and back. It really shows of the slightly iridescent grain of the wood.

I also did some test fitting of the neck to the body, but I'll put those pics up in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment