Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New Shipment Of Stuff

I finally got my package of goodies from StewMac today!


Exhibit A: Schaller locking tuners with the modern pin (doesn't require screws) in chrome.

They really are shiny!

Exhibit B: Tuner pin drill jig. This is going to help me drill the correct hole for the tuner pin hole.

Exhibit C: Copper shielding tape. This is going to be for the pickup and control cavities in the body. The conductive tape will act as a Faraday cage and block out signals to reduce noise from the electronics. I don't think I'll tape anything until I get the neck pocket perfectly sanded.

Exhibit D: String action gauge. This is going to help me set up the guitar strings' action (how high or low they are from the fretboard) once I've completed the project. I'll take measurements of the action on my existing guitars so that I can replicate the kind of feel I like.

Exhibit E: #38 drill bit. Essentially in between a 7/64 and 3/32 inch bit (pretty much a 13/128 inch, uuuugh). I'll need this for drilling the tuner pin holes. Too bad the pins aren't 7/64 or 3/32... otherwise my existing SAE set would have worked fine.

Exhibit F: Tremolo bridge templates. These templates are going to help me space the holes that I'll need to drill for the bridge. Those holes are arguably the most important that I have to drill myself, because if I screw up, the intonation will never be right, and I'll have to plug the holes and redrill. On such a nice Strat body, I'd rather not have to resort to doing that.

I feel tempted to drill the headstock right now, but I'll wait for the weekend. I want to get another straightedge and also some soft clamps and drafting/masking tape so that I can make some marks to ensure the drill holes will produce a very straight alignment for the tuners.

Good things are worth waiting for, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment