Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mounting The Neck To The Body

Today, I finally finished mounting the neck to the body (after installing the tremolo claw).

I had been waiting for my tin of screw wax for weeks, and finally got it a couple of days ago. I decided to tap threads into the tremolo claw holes and then install it.

The reason why I waited for the screw wax is because I don't like working with soap. For whatever reason, I find the smell of soap mixed with any wood bits to be terrible.

Tapping threads is pretty easy: all that needs to be done is to coat a couple threads on the screw with some lubricant and then slowly screw the screws into the pilot holes, making sure to back out often to make sure the threads get cleaned out.

After I tapped both holes, I installed the tremolo claw. The inaccurate drilling that I did ended up not being much of a problem (thankfully).

I decided to go ahead and mount the neck after doing a quick check to make sure the distance from the nut to the approximate area of the bridge saddles would be in the right ballpark. I can always loosen the neck screws a bit and modify the side-to-side angle of the neck if needed.

The first thing I did was to tap screw threads into the holes:

Finally, I mounted the neck onto the body!

No comments:

Post a Comment